The A.S. Trans & Queer Commission shall serve as an educational and advocacy forum for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT), Queer, and Intersex (LGBTQI) student’s rights, with a commitment to representing and improving the status of LGBTQI students on campus and in the community. The A.S. Trans & Queer Commission is working toward becoming a diverse group of members that increases awareness, educates, elicits appreciation, offers insights, towards the LGBTQI community at UCSB and also the Tri-County areas. The Commission will also work together with other campus and community groups to overcome problems such as homophobia, transphobia, biphobia and other forms of oppression.
Objectives of Trans & Queer Commission:
- Be an advocacy group aimed at improving the status of queer students both on campus and in the community.
- Be aware of and work to support the projects of other queer student’s organizations on campus and in the community.
- Act as a referral source for students on any matter concerning LGBTQI issues.
- Work to educate the campus on issues pertaining to the LGBTQI community.
- Advise the Legislative Council on issues pertaining to LGBTQI students.
- Provide student representation for A.S. on ad hoc Administrative committees concerning LGBTQI issues.
- Work on advocating the rights of all LGBTQI students on campus.